Quantcast

Best Bass Singer?

Zorro
Who is it? For a time I thought it was Paul Robeson, then I couldn't decide if the deepest voice belonged to Barry White or Melvin Franklin (The Temptations). Then I heard A.J. Dugger sing and now I'm really confused. lol. A.J. has a deep voice right on pitch with Melvin. Does anyone have a lower voice?

Re: Best Bass Singer?

Duggerman
Administrator
I can purr, brother. lol.

Jimmy Ricks from the Ravens is one of the deepest I've heard. In fact, he was Melvin Franklin's inspiration. They sound identical but Jimmy could hit lower notes than Melvin.

I forgot what my lowest note is. I need to get on my piano and check my range again.

Tim Storms has the deepest voice in the world right now. His voice goes so low that the human ear can't pick it up. He's in the guinness book of world records.

Re: Best Bass Singer?

GatorPurify
I'd like to see someone market a real bass singer at the forefront. I have never really seen a true bass commercialized at the forefront. It will be something different for sure. The Drifters tried with Bill Pinkney back in the day but eventually moved on. Berry White is a baritone/bass, but sings more in a baritone range. I would like to see someone give it a try with a real bass singer, instead of being relegated to background vocals for the most part.

Re: Best Bass Singer?

Zorro
It is amazing what smoking does to your voice. I used to sing tenor and pull off a terrific falsetto but age and smoking have deepened my voice dramatically. Did Melvin Franklin ever sing baritone or tenor? I've only heard him sing and speak bass notes. If AJ can speak and sing high then I assume other bass singers can too.

Re: Best Bass Singer?

Duggerman
Administrator
GatorPurify wrote
I'd like to see someone market a real bass singer at the forefront. I have never really seen a true bass commercialized at the forefront. It will be something different for sure. The Drifters tried with Bill Pinkney back in the day but eventually moved on. Berry White is a baritone/bass, but sings more in a baritone range. I would like to see someone give it a try with a real bass singer, instead of being relegated to background vocals for the most part.
Jimmy Ricks of the Ravens was the highlight of that group. The whole purpose was to show off his bass voice. That's the only group I've heard of where the bass singer was the lead singer. But that was back in the 1940s.

Re: Best Bass Singer?

Michelle
AJ you're the best bass singer hun!!

Re: Best Bass Singer?

Big Red
Probably Barry White. He sounded really deep on the beginning of "Staying Power."

Re: Best Bass Singer?

Duggerman
Administrator
Barry didn't sing at all as low as Melvin. He had a distinct sound and could hit bass notes (especially when speaking) but he sung in a low baritone for the most part. He did sound deep in the intro to that song, though. I think Barry gets a lot of praise because he was a solo bass singer and had many hits.

Re: Best Bass Singer?

Duggerman
Administrator
There is a bass singer on American Idol this year. His name is Jermaine Jones and his voice sets him apart from the pack. He got cut last week but brought back tonight. He took it hard when they let him go. I've never seen a grown man cry like this. He was snotting and all. You gotta see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-LYfDHk6gw

His voice is low and rich. He reminds me of Paul Robeson.

Re: Best Bass Singer?

GatorPurify
My Lord. I hate to see a big Mandingo brother like this cry. Hope he doesn't give up. Maybe it's better he go on his own.

Re: Best Bass Singer?

GatorPurify
I always will remember this one. Talk about funny. This guy tried too hard. He lost his mind afterward.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwCaiYl-32A

Re: Best Bass Singer?

Duggerman
Administrator
GatorPurify wrote
My Lord. I hate to see a big Mandingo brother like this cry. Hope he doesn't give up. Maybe it's better he go on his own.
He's still on the show. They brought him back the next week.

Re: Best Bass Singer?

Michelle
GatorPurify wrote
My Lord. I hate to see a big Mandingo brother like this cry.
What's a mandingo?

Re: Best Bass Singer?

Damita Jo
We need a good bass singer to shake up music. AJ, now is your time.

Re: Best Bass Singer?

Duggerman
Administrator
Damita Jo wrote
We need a good bass singer to shake up music. AJ, now is your time.
That'd be nice, for sure.